Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Nikkei Newspaper

Last week I went to a workshop held by Nihon Keizai Shimbun Inc., which is the only economic newspaper company in Japan. Also, they gave their newspaper to all participants as material for a week for free. What a generous! In the workshop, a female entrepreneur talked from her experience about why we should know about economics, how good the newspaper is, and how to read it.

I actually was not interested in economics at all in the past. I had thought economics was necessary only for business managers, and all we had to do was to pay national pension premiums in preparation for our old age. However, after the big pension scandal happened a few years ago, I do not believe the government any more and need to learn about the economy. Thus, the workshop was very useful for me.

Regarding the newspaper, it was easier and more interesting than I expected, but I have a problem: I do not have enough time to read it every day...!

Therefore, I am thinking of subscribing to NIKKEI WEEKLY, which is a weekly economic paper in English published by the same company. I can learn both economics and English. It's like killing two birds with one stone, isn't it? I will decide after receiving the sample.


By the way, I wonder if the government could give the economic newspaper to all jobless workers until they find a new job. It is like imitating France's policy, but good for economic recovery, I think. Don't you think so?

No comments: