Friday, November 21, 2008

What Happy People Don't Do

I saw an interesting article on The New York Times: What Happy People Don't Do. According to sociologists at the University of Maryland, a new study found out that happy people spend a lot of time socializing, going to the church and reading newspapers. On the other hand, unhappy people spend a lot of time watching TV or sleeping. However, it was not mentioned how they categorized people happy or unhappy.

Thinking about myself, I actually used to watch TV or sleep all day in my free time when my job was really hard several years ago. I was so exhausted that I did not want to do anything. I enjoyed TV at that time, but was not satisfied. Since I quit the job, I have seen many new friends and co-workers. Then I realized that I like socializing and it is really great to broaden my perspective.

Now I still like watching TV, but I do not watch it so often. I have a lot of things to do: meeting my friends, studying English, taking Pilates lessons, going shopping, reading books, surfing Internet, watching movies, and so on. I am busier but much happier than before!

Speaking of which, what should I do if I get tired of socializing because someone is tiring to me? Probably it is time for me to travel and take a break. Also, I should maintain balance about socializing. This is because human being cannot live alone and his/her private time.

No comments: